Thursday, November 1, 2007

AIRLINES COME-UPINS

I would just like to go on record one more time. Air travel is not as safe as we think it is. Not that I don't trust the science; I Don't trust Science in the hands of capitalism. (I probably came to this paradigm by working in health care)

What a surprise, NASA is withholding/delaying the release of an airline safety report.

here is my favorite quote.
According to a report out of Washington, NASA wants to avoid telling you about how unsafe you are when you fly. According to the article, when an $8.5M safety study of about 24,000 pilots indicated an alarming number of near collisions and runway incidents, NASA refused to release the results. The article quotes one congressman as saying 'There is a faint odor about it all.' A friend of mine who is a general aviation pilot responded to the article by saying 'It's scary but no surprise to those of us who fly.'"

Near mid-air collisions? Twice as many bird hits? people say to me all the time "When was the last time you heard of an airplane crash? oop here's one 2 months ago. so it didn't crash but whats the difference really? The luck of a sober pilot?
When I walk down the Jetway, When I am about to set foot on "The beast" I always think about my mortality. I may not be outwardly fearful of getting on the plane. I don't usually think "today is the day I die" no no no.. but I do consider my mortality. I consider the risk.
please answer the poll.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a quote from Armegeddon about sitting on so many gallons of fuel in a machine made by the lowest bidder. It's times like that that I don't like our government's take on capitalism so much.

Anonymous said...

The worst part is we don't know how bad it actually is. Even though it's clear that the NASA study confirms suspicion that each flight may be our "lift-off to the afterlife" it doesn't get to the issue of actual risk. Our collective experience says- "relatively" safe. Near misses are still near hits also.

Once again, the fact that the report is not public coupled with the fact that the governement hopes to suppress the results casts doubts about the general veracity of our government. You'll notice the president doesn't fly commercial....

Ritch in Love said...

Hello! This is your one and only flight attendant friend from Southwest Airlines and Salt Lake City! It was fun meeting you and your buddy after your wolf hunting/general conference trip. I wanted to say "Bravo!" on the survey...and yes I did vote. :) Guess what my vote was?
Love your blog. And I just wanted to say that air travel is one big conspiracy...especially flights into Lubbock on Southwest Airlines. My husband and I will be venturing to your part of the world in a few weeks. We'll think of you when we land! Keep in touch, our family blog is http://theritchies2007.blogspot.com
-Katie Ritchie

Ritch in Love said...

By the way, I am adding your blog to my list of favorites. I want some of my flight attendant buddies to see your blog.

Matt "The Bull" said...

Hey; you are now a legend to some of our extended family as I have added your MTC story to my repritor of pro-cafine/anti-false doctrine pontification.
As far as flying goes. I hope you and your flight attendent buddies remain numb to the danger, cuz we need you up there.

Matt "The Bull" said...

Hey; you are now a legend to some of our extended family as I have added your MTC story to my repritor of pro-cafine/anti-false doctrine pontification.
As far as flying goes. I hope you and your flight attendent buddies remain numb to the danger, cuz we need you up there.

April said...

Matt, I've heard these reported as "near misses" before but if you really think about that...isn't a "near miss" a hit? Yes, I think that's what they're probably trying to stay, a lot of fender benders on the jetway and I think about my mortality EVERY time I fly...sleep, think, sleep, think, sleep, sleep through landing, whew.

Ritch in Love said...

Matt, my friends are loving your story! Yes, the MTC story is not a myth! Good to know I'm famous for helping down to earth Mormons, like myself, feel a little easier about being addicted to caffeine! :) How can you tell that you have a plane full of mormons???
The temperature at which we are serving our caffeine!!!

Ritch in Love said...

Wow, my spelling is really off tonight...maybe that's because it's 5 in the morning and I've been up all night preparing for my recurrent training on Monday...that's where we have our feathers ruffled a little and go through our annual emergency evacuation...so we can save your rear end, identify weapons, and remind ourselves how to build bombstacks....numb...just like riding a bus...yup! That's me! And to top it off the only way I survive the day is with a 6 pack of Diet Coke. :)

Unknown said...

I heard that most of the noises you hear during take-off are really signs that little things are breaking. i e when the landing gear retracts, it was designed to be super silent, but as the parts stop working properly, the metal pops are grinds, until one day it all just falls off. Same with the wing flaps! Also, a study done says that 9 out of 10 of the victims of plane crashes "felt something was not quite right" BEFORE take-off. The 6th sense is really powerful when you are going to be in the sky- closer to heaven. To see the original articles, just google "you make me touch your hands for stupid reasons negro". The proofs in the pudding.