Sunday, September 23, 2007

"MUMs"; The Word...


Who ever said "keep Austin weird" should have realized the impact. The Great State of Texas has proven new heights of weirdness to me.
Remember when you were in high school. You would awkwardly ask only the girl you were sure would say yes to the homecoming dance. You would dress up, Buy a corsage and do your best not to disgust your date at the dinner table. I remember homecoming as being the first time I ever tied my own tie. In Texas they've taken it to a whole new level of awkward.
When a young man asks a girl out in Texas he must make a sizable withdrawal from his daddies bank account to buy a chrysanthemum. The bigger and more ornate said chrysanthemum is; the more prestigious. Girls contend one with another to see who has the most ornate and gody flower pinned to their body.
When I was a kid we simply placed corsages on the unsuspecting girls bosom and if your a real chicken you can just giver her one for here wrist. I was so afraid of my homecoming date I didn't even touch her during the picture.
Maybe I am an old fuddy duddy but I just don't get it. You go out and spend a couple hundred bucks on a dress and pin this to it. Call me crazy but just how far is this... from this.






1 comment:

April said...

I finally saw some of these in the grocery store and the cheap ones were 39.99. That's crazy...it's like some sick tradition that should go away soon!